Monday, March 12, 2012

Introverts & the Church

Hello all! We are back from a brief break and ready to start feeding you your daily bread of sociological knowledge (I hope that isn't sacrilegious or anything).


Today's blurb comes from a website known as the Aquila Report. In its own words, the Aquila  Report describes itself as an "independent source for news and commentary from and about conservative/orthodox/evangelicals in the Reformed and Presbyterian family of churches."


This particular article is about introversion, and where people who would describe themselves as such fit into the church. While there are several definitions of what it means to be introverted, the basic premise to remember is that an introverted person is drained by extended social contact, and seeks relative solace in order to "recharge". Though relevant to the social sciences in general, knowledge of different personality types is particularly applicable if you interested in fields like Interpersonal Counseling.

The introvertus solitarius in her natural habitat

Also, if you are especially interested in this kind of thing, here is a link to a blog that deals specifically with introverts in the church. Speaking in third person, as someone who is very introverted, the author of this post considers this kind of resource very helpful and  comforting.
My kind of church.
Here is the first part of the article.


......................................

When my wife was young she and her mom, they’d sing.

Sing this “Fruit of the Spirit” song at bedtime:

“Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Self-controoOool!”

I know this because every now and then, when she’s really sleepy, my wife will break out the song when we’re going to bed.

I have even heard myself singing along with her on a couple of occasions.

Unfortunately, we usually laugh so hard in those moments that it’s counterproductive to sleeping.

I didn’t grow up singing this song – though for some reason, as a four-year-old I fancied the chorus of “It’s Raining Men” – but I am grateful that my wife did because it has drawn my attention to that scripture in recent weeks.

It was a child’s song that renewed me in my assurance of God’s love and in the hope that He is working through me when I am myself.

Over the holidays I saw an old college friend at a party.

We were at one of those co-ed baby showers that have come into vogue, and that men are eagerly awaiting for people to get over.

This friend and I had ample time to catch up while others were rubbing the mom-to-be’s belly and taking baby quizzes and putting chocolate pudding in diapers.

In some ways he and I have a lot in common. We attended the same college, are both pastors in southern California, both care deeply about the mission of the Church.

But our personalities are polar opposite. He is incredibly extroverted and charismatic and magnetic; he is one of those people that changes the energy of a room when he walks into it. People are immediately drawn to him and he can turn a stranger into a friend faster than I can drive away from a co-ed baby shower. He can have a conversation about anything with anyone. He is the guy who knows ALL his neighbors, to the point that one passerby once speculated that he was a mafia kingpin.

I, on the other hand, am the classic introvert, the one who starts out quiet in new settings and gets quieter. I like people, but conversation, it can wear me out. I have several close friends but I am not terribly motivated to make conversation with people I don’t know well. I have a good sense of humor, but mostly because I sit around by myself a lot thinking of funny things to say. I will often choose reading a book over a group activity.

I have mostly come to terms with my personality, and I have even written a whole book to help introverts navigate the life of the church. But that encounter with my old friend resurfaced some of the feelings I had in my younger days: wondering whether something was wrong with me or whether introverts are spiritually inadequate?

Is God not as pleased with me when I choose solitude over conversation? Am I a bad witness to the gospel?

......................................

For the full text, click here.


For even more resources, here are some links to different personality tests. Human beings are complex, so while these may be helpful, take them with a grain of salt.



No comments:

Post a Comment